Someone visited My Essay Search within the week and search for Rain Water Harvesting. I paused for a while and thought if this fits as one of the essay questions and yes I think this can be. I will not try to expound of this subject but I will just try to provided a little overview about rain water harvesting.
What is Rain Water Harvesting?
Rainwater harvesting or generally water harvesting is a water conservation technology that uses either natural land forms or containers to harvest rain waters which will be used as potable water, home use, agriculture use or even to recharge the groundwater. Water harvesting is a cost effective and environment friendly water management. Water harvesting can be done both in rural and urban areas.
Benefits of Rain Water Harvesting
You can list a whole lot of benefits of harvesting water. The most common benefits of water harvesting are the following:
- Keeps from flooding.
- Can be used as potable water.
- Helps a lot in agriculture irrigation purposes.
- Can help in underground water recharging.
- Reduce seawater ingress in coastal areas.
Cautions in Rain Water Harvesting
While the benefits of harvesting outweighs that disadvantages, it is also a good idea to point out the disadvantages of this.
- Requires additional work. Indeed, you will be saving the cost of your water system bills if you do this but you will need to add extra infrastructure of this water harvesting system.
- Requires additional space. You need to add extra spot or space in your house for your water containers. Or you will need an allocated spot in your farm to make a water catchment.
- Requires maintenance. Yes, water harvesting is not a one-go project. You will need to make sure that your gutters or piping are not clogged as water may not flow freely into your storage.
- Can cause mosquito infestations. You need to make sure that your farm swamp or your household water tanks or containers are covered properly so that it will not be a breeding ground for mosquitoes and other insects.
- Could be harmful. Yeah, you will be harvesting 100% rainwater but some rainwater’s can be poisonous specially in the urban areas due to pollution. Some of the house materials and paints are can also be dangerous at it may contain lead and aluminum.
Starting With Your Own Water Harvesting
Anyone can start doing water harvesting for just any water conservation purposes. Starting as little as putting pails under the gutters could be a great help in water conservation but if you wanted to have a system set-up then it may need some carpentry works if you are doing it in your house. If you are trying to harvest water for your farm, you should put your water catchment to the slowest part of the contour contour line. Your water catchment should either be at the top most of your farm or at the middle of the field to make sure that your plans will benefit with your water.
Resources for Rain Water Harvesting
So this is my quick overview for the topic of rain water harvesting for now. I will be writing a more details copy of the topic in the future. For now, please feel free to check at this wonderful reads that I would like you to visit.