We are looking for an experienced Lab Manager to provide support to the Head of Department in strategic planning and management of the Department, the day to day operations of the Department, and to provide effective administration with a focus on facilitating successful research, finance and human resource issues.
This post requires a person with excellent interpersonal, organisational, and communication skills, with a proven ability to use tact and discretion, whilst remaining calm and able to manage multiple deadlines. The post holder must have the ability to use initiative and adopt a flexible approach to the work. Previous experience of working in senior administration, including Higher Education is essential. A scientific background and staff management experience would be an advantage.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations, organisation and supervision of a research laboratory under the direction of the Head of Department
- Coordination of laboratory purchases and scientific equipment (including, if necessary, putting items to be purchased out to tender), control of delivery of supplies
- Secure the installation, proper functioning and maintenance of equipment and inventories
- Support of animal research projects (preparation of animal experimentation permit applications and animal data sheets) interaction and communication with scientists of the institute, the animal facility staff and the animal welfare officer
- To co-ordinate and support the research activities of the Department and maintain an overview of activities
- Management and organisation of projects ensuring all projects are on target and the work meets very high-quality standards
- Anticipate problems and implement preventive measures when necessary
- Manage and optimise website and wiki, ensure content is up to date and compile relevant social media content
- Organisation of internal and external workshops and other events
- Liaising with relevant administrative and academic staff within the Institute and neighbouring institutions to ensure the smooth running of the Department
- Completed university degree (Master’s level) in natural sciences and engineering (Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Biology or a similar field), ideally a PhD. Highly relevant experience in an equivalent research institute can substitute for the scientific background
- Several years of experience in working in Higher Education or similar education or research institutions with comparable tasks and responsibilities in international context
- Proven knowledge of the academic working environment and its special needs, in particular, knowledge of national and international research funding programs, and of international collaborations
- Familiarity with the use of content management systems, Microsoft Office and social media
- Fluency in both English and German
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, team spirit and flexibility; expat experience of other cultures would be beneficial
- Solution driven, organizational and management talent with the ability to help and direct others, pro-active and able to work independently, even under pressure and deadlines
- Good organizational skills with ability to prioritize competing demands and to ensure deadlines are met
- Good knowledge of lab techniques and equipment (visual displays, IT software/hardware, biology, electrophysiology, microscopy) is a plus
A good amount of technical prowess is useful due to the lab equipment upkeep portion of the lab manager’s duties.