At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), our goal is to explore, innovate and develop novel human-computer interfaces for the next generation of virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences.
We are seeking an experienced Research Scientist to help us build a practical neural human-machine interface based on high resolution non-invasive measurement of motor neuron signals. Our research lies at the intersection of electrochemistry, biophysics, material science, neuromuscular sensing, neuroscience, machine learning, statistics, motor learning, perceptual psychophysics, and human-computer interaction.
Your mission is to work within a multidisciplinary team to define and execute research to identify and answer valuable fundamental scientific questions around non-invasive neuromuscular interfaces. You will also collaborate with broader teams of scientists and engineers to translate these findings in support of technology development and testing efforts to enable breakthroughs in non-invasive neuromuscular sensing.
This role provides ample opportunities to work alongside an exceptional and highly interdisciplinary team and access to cutting edge technology, resources, and testing facilities. We want people who work well on teams, can brainstorm and communicate big ideas, and can plan and drive principled scientific investigations.
Research Scientist, Electromyography (PhD) Responsibilities
- Identify opportunities and employ quantitative research methods to define, iterate upon, and advance key areas of our research agenda around non-invasive neuromuscular sensing.
- Collaborate with engineers and other research scientists to translate fundamental scientific knowledge into new technologies.
- Describe complex systems and physiological phenomena in detail and communicate technical information effectively to cross functional teams.
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
- Currently has, or in the process of obtaining, a Ph.D. in biophysics, biomedical engineering, electrochemistry, neuroscience, or another relevant field.
- Experience with research-oriented implementation skills, including fluency with libraries for scientific computing (e.g. MATLAB, SciPy ecosystem), experience with quantitative skills (mathematics, statistics), and experience learning new technical knowledge and skills rapidly.
- 5+ years experience working independently to delve into scientific literature to reinforce hypotheses, and design, execute, interpret, and present research studies.
- 3+ years experience working in electrochemistry, bioelectrochemistry, electrophysiology interfaces, or similar.
- Experience with cross-domain and cross-culture collaboration
- 3+ years experience measuring and interpreting neural or neuromotor signals
- 3+ years experience investigating the electrochemical interface of surface electrodes
- 5+ years experience working in electrochemistry, bioelectrochemistry, electrophysiology interfaces, or similar
- Track record of solving significant research engineering or research science problems