Kernel creates the interfaces and insights necessary to unlock the greatest scientific unknown: the inner workings of the human brain and mind. We started in 2016 and are a full-stack neurotech company with scientists and engineers controlling every step from chip design to optics; control software to ML; experimental design to analysis. Understanding, interfacing with, and improving the brain requires a technological revolution at every level.
Our first product, Kernel Flow, is a non-invasive brain interface which records real-time, cortical hemodynamics to establish precise patterns of brain activity. Designed as the first commercially-scalable time-domain near-infrared spectroscopy (TD-fNIRS) system in history, Flow features
- Whole head coverage
- Single connector USB-C I/O
- 1,000+ source-detector pairs
- 690nm 850nm wavelengths
- 200 Hz sampling frequency
To improve our neural activity estimation on Flow, we are looking for an expert in 3D neural activity reconstruction from fNIRS data.
- Master’s degree in physics, neuroscience, or related quantitative field
- Strong python programming skills
- Intimate understanding of fNIRS and its theoretical foundations
- Experience with radiative transfer modeling and photon diffusion simulations
- Experience with inverse modeling from diffuse optical data
- PhD in physics, neuroscience, or related quantitative field
- Experience with quantitative 3D neural activity reconstruction from experimental fNIRS data
- Experience with time domain (TD) fNIRS in particular