At Facebook Reality Labs Research (FRLR), our goal is to explore, innovate and design novel interfaces and hardware subsystems for virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. Our team is developing new human-computer interaction technologies for AR and VR, and we are looking for a skilled and motivated Technical Program Manager to manage our remote data collection program. We are specifically looking for a candidate with experience managing large-scale data collection or user research programs who can work across a team of researchers, hardware engineers, and materials scientists to get them the data they need to create novel input technologies.
This role will involve managing critical vendor relationships, developing new training materials and processes for data collection assistants, working with researchers to create a study schedule that aligns with their program roadmaps, owning privacy, security, legal, and safety compliance, and overall structuring the data collection program to move the research forward. They will work with a diverse and highly interdisciplinary team of researchers and engineers and will have access to cutting edge technology, resources, and testing facilities.
Technical Program Manager – Data Collection Responsibilities
- Build and manage a new data collection research program from inception to delivery, and continually improve the program based on feedback from partners and stakeholders.
- Own the schedule for the program’s deliverables, working with stakeholders to develop and update the schedule and tracking and reporting progress.
- Work with cross-functional partners (hardware engineering, research science, and software engineering) to identify program scope, constraints, dependencies, risks, and timelines, clearly communicating key updates and escalating issues when necessary to find the right solution.
- Proactively identify technical, legal, and logistical challenges and develop solutions to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Perceptual Science, Human-computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years work experience managing technical programs as the primary driver in a research or consumer electronics development domain, or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years experience with large-scale human subjects research or human factors research on broad populations.
- Proven track record of successful relationship management and communication skills, especially in driving cross-functional alignment.
- Experience managing vendor relationships, including drafting contracts and tracking budgets.
- Experience working in a research environment or on novel hardware development.
- Experience with high-volume, high-pace data collection.
- Familiarity with one or more of the following domains: bio-sensing, electromyography (EMG), neuroscience, HCI, wearable technologies.