NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children’s hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and NYU Grossman School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner for our Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the provision, coordination, and assurance of comprehensive nursing care using nursing process and pertinent standards of care, the diagnosis of illness and physical conditions, and performance of therapeutic, corrective, and prescriptive measures of the designated inpatient patient population
- Monitors and trends the cost effectiveness of the position, particularly as it relates to the efficiency and performance indicators established for the service.
- Assists in the preparation, implementation, and evaluation of research protocols when applicable.
- Works collaboratively with nursing and other disciplines in the development and implementation of clinical studies within the area of expertise.
- Uses evidence-based health care literature to advise and support appropriate practice changes within the designated service.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of patient outcomes per established practice protocols for purposes of quality and performance improvement.
- Serves as a clinical expert and resource for the education of peers and other health professionals.
- Maintains current expertise in area of practice.
- Promotes own professional growth and development in clinical and managerial role.
- Considers needs and behaviors of specific patient age and cultural groups in all patient care.
- Evaluates treatment and health care plans for effectiveness and modifies per clinical standards and practice protocols.
- Practices as a member of the allied health staff according to the rules and regulations of the Medical Staff and bylaws as outlined in the delineation of privileges.
- Prescribes medical equipment, devices, physical and occupational therapy, and home health services per practice protocol.
- Prescribes in-patient and discharge medications according to New York State law, including controlled substances with DEA authorization.
- Works collaboratively with the attending physician, consulting physician(s), and other disciplines to identify, develop, and implement an appropriate plan of care that maximizes individual patient/family preference and enhances quality, access, and cost-effective outcomes.
- Formulates the plan of care, along with the attending physician, patient and family, based on expected goals of care and length of stay.
- Orders customary laboratory, radiological and diagnostic studies per practice protocols, differentiates between normal/abnormal findings and follows protocols for abnormal findings, which may include referral to consulting physicians per customary pattern of the attending MD or with the collaborating physician.
- Performs complete health history, physical examination and psychosocial assessment of patients within the designated practice or clinical unit.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Participates in designated activities related to professional nursing standards and regulations of relevant outside agencies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
- Facilitates the continuity of care across the continuum of services, e.g. home care, other facilities, appointments with MDs etc.
- Provides consultation about the therapeutic regimen to the nursing staff responsible for the patients care in the hospital setting.
- Works collaboratively with nursing leadership to ensure timely communications with the nursing staff.
- Works collaboratively with the attending physician to maintain timely and appropriate communication with family members, housestaff, other disciplines and ancillary services.
- Participates in the development and revision of interdisciplinary and nursing standards, patient and family education materials as relevant to area of practice and expertise.
- Works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team including the attending physician to develop and implement the therapeutic plan of care for a group of patients and ensure communication with family members.
- Plans and organizes care to meet individual patient needs and to ensure appropriate clinical resource utilization per protocols, pathways, and other means.