- A full-time position on our Engineering team, where your efforts will help us bring vitally needed neurological health information to patients, their physicians, and researchers in the fight against brain disease.
- Challenging work on our algorithm pipeline, architecting and implementing scalable components that stream the data at scale through our models as part of continuous or on-demand analysis.
- Work directly with our Neuroscience team to deeply understand the core questions being asked about patient populations. Handle concerns about data bias, interpretation, and misinterpretation. Help turn scientifically designed and validated signal processing algorithms and models into production-read and deployed classification services.
- Iterate on supervised and unsupervised streaming models that can be deployed either on our cloud platform or in a real-time mobile runtime. Lead agile hyperparameter tuning efforts over experiments, balancing your theoretical background with concrete evidence to pick the most promising path to meeting requirements.
- Complement our pure data science efforts with a strong general CS and programming background, understanding big-O performance and expected resource utilization of various models to hash out feasibility and scalability before deploying.
Engineering At Rune Labs
- Your work will directly support:
- Patients and their neurologists before, during, and after in-clinic and telemedicine visits
- Research and development of new therapies for Parkinson’s Disease, OCD, chronic pain, treatment-resistant depression, epilepsy, and other neurological conditions afflicting tens of millions of people.
- Work with the smartest and kindest folks in software engineering, neuroscience, product, and business development.
- Be part of a culture of explicit ethical consideration to both ourselves and the patients whose data we are entrusted with.
- An environment that has kept up with technical debt from day one, and works hard to keep it that way. We’re not perfect, but our infrastructure is fully automated and our stack instrumented with observability, CI/CD, strong security practices, and a team experienced enough to know why those always matter.
- Full health, vision, and dental coverage and benefits for yourself and dependents
- (if you’re in San Francisco) Our office is across the street from Golden Gate park, pet-friendly, great food within walking distance, and all the free t-shirts and swag you can stomach. Enough said.
- Strong alignment with Rune’s Values (https://runelabs.io/about-us#values)
- At least 4 years of experience in a data science role, ideally augmented with regular backend services engineering. Experience with AWS and SaaS cloud environments a plus (SageMaker, S3, Docker/Kubernetes).
- Ability to work with streaming datasets at scale, with a focus on timeseries data (these won’t fit into any EC2 instance AWS has). Solid understanding of data structures and computing resource utilization (CPU, memory).
- Proven track record of leveraging published CS theory and research to make informed decisions about picking, structuring, training, tuning, bagging, and deploying models.
- A solid understanding of data bias, false positives, feature design and pruning, and the limitations of interpreting (and consequences of misinterpreting) predicted results based on the particulars of the question actually asked by subject experts.
- High degree of empathy and a strong conviction towards concrete outcomes for both yourself and your team as a whole. You don’t work alone.
- Preference for medium-paced environments that balance tight feedback loops and continuous delivery with responsible planning and focused execution.
- An open, scientific, and critical mind that backs up decisions with data and humility. You consciously understand the dangers of trend-chasing, abusing social credit, and shoehorning precedent into new situations.