About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth’s flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Perform research in the topic of lifelong learning AI with a focus on time aware systems – systems that can take into account timing properties and draw conclusions that may be time sensitive such as anytime algorithms, periodic behavior, and separating old vs. current. The work will combine neuroscience modeling of associative and episodic memory with neural networks and symbolic methods. Meta-learning is likely to be part of the various solutions. The postdoc will need talent in presenting ideas clearly and writing clear reports and research papers. The postdoc will further help coordinate research, making sure DARPA reports are written in timely manner and great level, and will assist in developing new directions, projects and proposals. The postdoc will be available for daily meetings and collaboration with BINDS directors and students.
- Contributes to research in a highly technical Computer Science lab. This involve: developing new ideas, algorithms, analysis, software and/or hardware; designing, documenting, analyzing, modifying and debugging software; evaluating and validating software, circuits, algorithms and architectures.
- Supervises research assistants.
- Carries out experiments in association with students, staff and faculty.
- Describes techniques and results for use in scientific papers and conferences; assists in writing reports and articles.
- Contributes to the development of new research proposals.