The Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics investigates information processing in the brain. The institute uses experimental, theoretical and computational methods to study perception, memory, decision-making, motor performance and more, and to develop appropriate recording and imaging techniques. The Institute is multidisciplinary, has excellent facilities and close links to the neighboring Max Planck Institutes and the University of Tübingen.
The IT Core Facility at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics is looking for a
Student Helper (m/w/d)
The mission of the IT Core Facility is to support the institute’s scientists in all aspects of modern Information Technology – hardware or software. High Performance Computing (HPC) and advanced data management techniques are becoming critical to the practice of Neuroscience, hence major tasks for IT involve the handling of medical data and processing of data on high-performance compute hardware.
HPC and Data Manage-ment Tasks:
- Work with the IT Team and Science Staff enable efficient utilization of local and remote HPC and Data Management resources including Linux Clusters and parallel filesystems
- Experience with:
- Linux: Installation, basic configuration and support, general familiarity
- Programming: Python, bash
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn new technologies including:
- Automation with Ansible
- Containerization – Docker, Podman, Singularity
- OpenHPC – Linux clustering technolo-gy
- Read-the-docs – Sphinx documentation
- iRODS – an ecosystem for scientific data manage-ment
- Medical image formats – DICOM and Siemens TWIX
- Web Server – Flask, Apache, Nginx
- You are comfortable with computers and hands-on with hardware and software
- You enjoy working with a multidisciplinary team in a laboratory environment
- You are willing and eager to learn new skills and technology to get the job done
- You have an interest in HPC and Scientific computing
- You can work proficiently in English both written and spoken.
Full skills are not expected but high motivation and willingness to learn is required.