Blackfynn is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our growing engineering team to further our mission to optimize therapeutics for Parkinson’s and neurodegeneration.
Blackfynn is a new kind of therapeutics company: one using high-quality clinical data, data modeling and analytics – first and always – to drive every aspect of drug development. We focus on optimizing clinical-stage assets for the near-term benefit of patients with Parkinson’s disease, with the aim of expanding into related neurodegenerative disease indications. It is our mission to improve the lives of everyone living with Parkinson’s and other neurodegenerative diseases across the globe, and to use our technology to democratize access to studies and medicines regardless of race, gender, socioeconomic status or geography.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Improve the core infrastructure and services that facilitate the acquisition, transformation, storage and retrieval of complex neurological datasets
- Build and deploy solutions for collecting and aggregating Parkinson’s based clinical trial and observational study data
- Build and optimize internal tooling to support data ingest and harmonization
- Work to produce reusable, efficient data acquisition and analysis frameworks to enable our data science efforts
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
In order to be successful as a Software Engineer at Blackfynn, you’ll need 3+ years of strong industry experience developing production quality software (preferably biotech, pharma, or healthcare). You’ll also need to be:
- Flexible, thriving in the face of ambiguity and finding appropriate solutions
- Able to develop systematic, structured, and pragmatic approaches to tasks, with attention to detail and an emphasis on shipping working software
- Proficient in Scala (or other JVM-based language), Python, and SQL
- Familiarity with modern web-based frameworks and implementations (e.g., vue, react, SPAs) and how these integrate with service-oriented architectures
- Familiar with container based deployments and architectures (e.g., Docker, ECS, Fargate)
- Understanding of infrastructure as code and continuous integration best practices (e.g., Terraform, Jenkins)
- Proficiency building and working with relational and object databases (e.g., Postgres and S3 respectively)
- Experience with building and maintaining RESTful APIs along with best practices for monitoring and logging
Although experience with our existing stack is great, we’re MOST interested in engineers who are able to take the complex tasks our users perform and distill them down to intuitive experiences.